The origins of Bowens go back more than 90 years to 1923.
The company was originally founded in London as a camera repair company which by the 1950s had grown to be one of the largest in Europe. It was at this time that Bowens first started manufacturing lighting equipment for photographers.
Bowens' first flashbulb units were produced in 1947 and by 1950 the company started to produce the first electronic studio flash systems. Investing heavily in research and development, Bowens led the way in photographic lighting electrical and mechanical design leading to a product that would completely transform photographic studios, when in 1963 the company produced the first electronic studio flash unit with capacitors, control and flash in a single unit – the monobloc was born.
Over the next three years, the company became dedicated to the design and production of studio flash equipment. Bowens Sales & Service grew out of the Bowens Camera service company and in 1966 Bowens made its first appearance at Photokina.
The Monolite 400 was introduced in 1968 and this product confirmed Bowens' place as a world-leader in studio lighting design and manufacture.
Since that day Bowens developed many product lines such as the Quad, Prolite, Esprit, and Gemini all of which have played a part in making Bowens a favourite amongst photographic professionals.
Almost 100 years on from its founding the company was acquired by Aurelius, and after a brief hiatus, Bowens is back.